Sunday, April 29, 2012

WECAN April 2012 Meeting Draft Minutes

WECAN Board on Thursday April 5, 2011 at Merritt Park Meeting Room
Members present: Byron Ballard,  Joe Fioccola, Yuri Koslen and Luke W. Perry. Members not present were: Jeff Carnivale, Jessie Coleman, Bret Frk, Tom Gibson, AnnaBeth Hardcastle, Mike Kenton, Joanne Skinner, and Suzanne Willis.
Also present were  Pattiy Torno and Susan Roderick.

          Luke called the meeting to order at 6:42  AnnaBeth has been named Foreign Language Student of the Year.
The March Meeting Minutes were approved as distributed with one correction that Pattiy was listed under 'members present' instead of 'also present'
 ASHEVILLE GREEN WORKS: Susan Roderick with Asheville Green works reported on the several plantings in and around WECAN. She has a 'DOT approved' but casual plan for the areas along I-240 from the Smokey Park Bridges to Clingman Avenue. They have a contract with Freckle Farms for mowing and will over time plant daylilies and forsythia and small trees like    dogwoods in addition to the roses already planted along the chain link fence. The plan is for an informal and more natural look. She has heard that ASAP (Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project) is interested in a community garden. Byron and Susan will arrange a meeting to discuss a location in WECAN near the Pepsi Billboard. Kudzu removal will be a priority and Susan has received a large Grant from REI Outdoor for maintenance. She is planning a big work day on Saturday May 26 (The Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend.)The date will be confirmed by the May WECAN Board Meeting and Luke will coordinate with the Hillcrest group, which has just elected new board members. There was general agreement that WECAN should partner with Greenworks to help maintain the level area between the base of the bridge and the top of the staircase. Some ideas mentioned included low maintenance fern beds; a trash can and repair of the fence, a picnic or cookout on 'Boy Scout Hill' which is properly named 'Chicken Hill'. Susan also has access to several service groups who could help maintain some areas. Susan also reported that you can get FREE MULCH during April at the land fill.      
EAST OF THE RIVERWAY: surveys have begun early reports have 25-35% coverage. Jeff Staudinger has put out RFQ's (Request For Qualifications) for consultants for greenways and is looking for community participation in the form of a volunteer to assist a committee in reading and scoring applications, and selecting and interviewing the best candidates. Luke suggested Brett and will ask him and if he cannot then Pattiy volunteered to be the back up volunteer.
OWENS BELL PARK: KIOSK: Luke will have a 3-d mock up for the next meeting and Pattiy has gotten the contact number for Duckett Bell who wanted to sponsor something in the park. Apparently some dead ivy covered trees have been removed making a little less work for the Garden Club.
Pattiy reported that Riverlink has requested that the new sidewalk [going in on Depot St and across the Norfolk Southern Railroad tracks all the way to the Curve Studios] use historic granite curbstones. Though more expensive cost may not be such an issue as sidewalk funds must be spent before the fiscal year ends. The issue arose  that there is still resentment that granite curbstones were harvested from Park Avenue, and West Haywood Street when new sidewalks went in with no consultation with the neighborhood and that there remain some sections of original granite curbstones in WECAN and that some on Roberts Street might also be at risk. It was suggested that any community support for this be linked to prioritizing sidewalks on Roberts Street between the traffic circle and the White Duck Taco. Roberts St is listed as a 'Needed Linkage' on the 2005 City Sidewalks Plan but not a priority as Riverside Drive is characterized.
COMMUNICATIONS SUB-COMMITTEE:  Pattiy will create break-out lists of addresses in the several blocks and potential contacts to become 'Block Jessies.' Luke also offered thanks to MHO for their assistance making copies of the brochure.
CLINGMAN CELEBRATION: Some new striping has appeared. Pattiy updated the official city sponsored celebration plans: There needs to be a short and catchy name rather than the "WECAN Clingman Avenue Streetscape Community Parade and RADBA Fundraiser at the Grey Eagle." Some suggestions included: RAD Roundabout Parade// WECAN Roundabout Parade and RAD Benefit//  WECAN Wander// WECAN Wonder// WECAN Walk// WECAN Roundup// Clingman Connection// Clingman Strut// Clingman Avenue Circle Parade// Clingman Circle Celebration//.  The city will pay for invitations and some comp tickets to the benefit.  There will be a Boy Scout Troop marching the colors. Also the Hillcrest High Steppers are expected. Participants will gather at the Car lot at Clingman and Hilliard and the parade will begin around 6-ish. Depending on the Asheville Transit buses. There will be speeches at the traffic circle and the benefit will follow at the Grey Eagle with a silent auction and live bands playing. The funds raised will go to Asheville Green Works to pay for plantings and maintenance and also to fund the "One Neighborhood Initiative"  which will mentor neighborhood children in River District Artists studios.
NEW BUSINESSES: New Belgium: It was announced today that they will build a major facility across the river between the Riverlink Bridge and the Smokey Park Bridges with a large contribution from the State and other partnerships and a lot of things that are not yet known such as neighborhood impacts and traffic modifications. FLS: First Light Solar on Roberts St.  also a new business at 87 Roberts St  that makes memory foam mattresses. Also a new African-American Salon at the Glen Rock. Also a Bike Courier Business, Fast Lane Electric Bikes at 363 Depot St and Alternative Health Care Clinic at 372 Depot St.
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Luke announced that there will be a Southside Community Day in April to address youth engagement and transitioning the Reid Center. There may also be another Design -Build Project.
Meeting adjourned at 8:13
Minutes submitted by Joe Fioccola.

Next BOARD Meeting 6:30p.m. on Thursday May 3.
Next  GARDEN CLUB: OWENS BELL PARK  Sunday  April 15 @ 10 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment