Monday, December 12, 2011

NC DOT doing some Clearing

Just got word this morning from Marsha Stickford, that the NC DOT will begin their underbrush removal around the pedestrian bridge across to Hillcrest, today!  The plan as it has been presented, is to remove small diameter scrub vegetation, leaving the tagged hardwoods in tact to become shade trees for the area.  The downed wood left is there for the taking by neighbors.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Next WECAN Board Meeting December 1, 2011 @ 6:30pm

Time again for WECAN to meet and sit and chat about what is going on in the neighborhood... come to 64 Clingman Avenue in MHO's offices @ 6:30pm (til around 8pm)... the agenda finds Greg Shuler from Asheville's Department of Public Works coming to hear from and inform neighbors about the Clingman Streetscape issues around the marking of the bulb outs, the fixing of the WECAN Sunny Cultural Garden, etc.  We hope to see you there!

Monday, November 14, 2011

WECAN Social Hour at White Duck Taco-this Saturday!

Interested in meeting some other people in the neigborhood over good food and drink?  Then, come out to the White Duck Taco Shop this Saturday, November 19th from 5-7.  Stop by for a taco, a drink, to meet some new folks, catch up with old (and young) folks, or all of the above. 

Luke W. Perry, an architect living on Club St, will be 'hosting' this event.  Just look for the red hair...

Sunday, October 23, 2011

WECAN General Membership meets November 3rd

Danny from The Asheville Public (TAP) with his sausage... it was yummy!
This next WECAN Board Meeting is actually a General Membership Meeting, resplendent with pot luck food and fun.  As always, the first Thursday of the month... November 3, 2011 @ 6:30pm @ 64 Clingman Avenue in the Jessie Nell Coleman Community Room of MHO.  Bring your favorite dish to share... we are hoping to have food to sample from our soon to be new neighbors, The Asheville Public.  Do join us.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

First Light Solar moves into WECAN

As confirmed by Brownie Newman friday afternoon, First Light Solar has signed a lease for 130 Roberts Street, the old AVL Technologies building that has been vacant for over a year. FLS is expected to begin to move in December 2011. This puts new meaning to the thought of the Haywood Road & Roberts Street roundabout being the intersection of Art & Science.  WECAN welcomes a great community partner.

LEAF S&S TRACKS @ Green's Mini Mart Oct. 15, 2011

LEAF in Schools & Street, in cooperation with COA Cultural Arts & Mr. Green of Green's Mini Mart invites everybody! to share their song...beat...words to mash up into a song to be played on local radio. The Mobile Art Lab Easel Rider, with all its digital music re-mixing tools, will be in Mr. Green's parking lot @ 414 Depot Street from 1 to 4pm. Please join Cleaster Cotton, Stephens-Lee students and David Hamilton & bring whatcha' got!

Monday, October 3, 2011

BooFest @ UNCA October 23, 2011

For all kids 11 & under for a fun afternoon & games with goodies bags for everyone! 3 to 5pm! FREE!!!

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Next WECAN Board Meeting: October 6, 2011

@ 6:30pm @ 64 Clingman Avenue, MHO's first floor Conference Room!! BE THERE! Topics for discussion include: General Membership Meeting in November, Newsletter, Block Captains mapping, bylaws revisions, Clingman Streetscape Update, Depot Street Parking Plan update, East of the Riverway Kick Off, Dr. Grant Center Grand Opening... etc


East of the Riverway Kickoff Friday, October 7, 2011

The City of Asheville has received a planning grant for what is being called The East of the Riverway (pretty much all of Buncombe County Census Tract #9) which includes all of the River Arts District. Please join us on Friday, to learn what this grant is all about and how you can help, how it might effect you, etc.
Community partners including Green Opportunities, the Asheville Design Center, the Asheville Housing Authority and the City of Asheville invite all community members to join in the kick-off to the East of the Riverway Sustainable Communities Initiative, on Friday, October 7 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Reid Center, located at 133 Livingston Street. The celebration will consist of food, fellowship, entertainment, and information about the East of the Riverway and what it could mean for the community.
The East of the Riverway area is 1,100 acres connecting the French Broad and Swannanoa riverfronts to downtown. The riverfronts and the adjacent neighborhoods to the east (including South French Broad, WECAN, Hillcrest, Southside, and the River Arts District) are home to over 1,500 households and many businesses. This area is emerging as Asheville's next community success story, and this sustainable communities initiative will provide resources to help that happen.
The East of the Riverway Sustainable Communities Initiative will be assessing, planning, and acting through partnerships and creative collaboration for the primary benefits of existing residents, businesses and property owners. The city and its partners will ensure that residents, property owners and business stakeholders from the area are informed and directly engaged in meaningful discussion about its future. Community members will be involved in learning about and setting goals and priorities for development in the area.
For more information, contact Tara Irby, Outreach Coordinator,tirby@ashevillenc.gov, 828-259-5733 or Marilyn Bass, GO Outreach Coordinator, marilyn@greenopportunities.org , 828-398.4158

New Southside Community Center Opens Oct. 13, 2011

What started as a cleared ball field several years back, The Dr. Wesley Grant, Sr. Southside Center will be dedicated on Thursday, October 13, 2011 @ 5:30pm.  This newest of community centers, built by the City of Asheville, stands on the corner of Livingston & Depot Streets.  Contact Debbie Ivester with questions.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Clean up on Riverside Drive

There will be two of different kinds... Progress Energy has contracted to do the final remediation of the manufactured gas plant across from CURVE studios & garden, so look for the guys in the white hazmat suits.  Tim Silar, project manager says it will take a couple of weeks to remove and replace 500 tons in 30 truck loads of soil.  Then it will be done, the COA will take possession of the land and hopefully sometime in the next several months, take down the chain link fence so we can access the river.
Then there is "Big Sweep"... an opportunity to volunteer to help clean up the river itself and its roadways thru the efforts of Asheville Greenworks & Riverlink which takes place Saturday, October 1, 2011 meeting @ Asheville Outdoor Center @ 9am until 1pm.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Clingman Streetscape Construction

Greg Shuler is happy to say that work is scheduled to commence on the second phase of Clingman Ave. beginning Monday morning. Looks like Monday-Wednesday will be saw/cutting the pavement.  Thursday will be demo of asphalt and concrete starting at the lower end moving up the street involving Jack hammer, flat bed dump truck and mini hoe.  Friday will possibly be spent forming and pouring from Thursday’s demo.  Will depend on how much we get cut and if weather forecast.  Please contact Greg Shuler or  Linda Kaye, our project inspector, at 777-4833 for project specifics.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Downtown Market Continues

The Downtown Market is still going on, thanks to Lance Hardcastle (Jefferons Drive resident) & Susie Watson... please support their efforts to keep a market within walking distance of WECAN and read more here.

Monday, September 5, 2011

September WECAN Board Meeting Minutes

WECAN Board Meeting on Thursday September 1, 2011 at Merritt Park Meeting Room
Members present: Byron Ballard, Jeff Carnivale, Joe Fioccola, Bret Frk, AnnaBeth Hardcastle, Yuri Koslen, Luke W. Perry, and Pattiy TornoMembers not present were: Jessie Coleman, Tom Gibson, Mike Kenton, Geraldine Melendez,  Jose Ruiz.
Also present were APD Officer Evan Coward, Marsha Stickford, Tara Irby, Dwayne Burton, Olufemi Lewis and  Torin Kexel.
Pattiy called the meeting to order at 6:30. After introductions the August meeting minutes were approved as distributed. Rah! to APD Officer Evan Coward who finished first in his age group(under 30) in the Police Mountain Bike Association Congress. Officer Leslie Torgow finished second in her age group (30-39)
Hillcrest Walkover Bridge: Marsha reported that an encroachment agreement between the City, Progress Energy and DOT has been signed opening the way for further clearing out of brush and under growth along the steps to the Hillcrest Walkover bridge. and along the fences. Some trees will be removed on recommendation from the city arborist. Patiy suggested all that merely limbing trees up to six feet was very effective at Aston Park. Should be completed by the end of October. Lighting should be sooner. Luke asked about picking up trash there. Marsha suggested talking to Susan Roderick with Asheville Greenworks  to coordinate volunteers and supplies. Marsha can help with Liability waivers and sanitation pick ups. Luke suggested having a cook out afterwards. A date for the cleanup will be set in October. Discussion of how Hillcrest can be more involved in cleaning up the area. Luke wants to push for Hillcrest to be more involved. Olufemi advised they are dealing with issues on their side about the presence of cameras and outreach to new residents. She observed that everyone has their own bubble of what they consider their safety zone –whether an apartment in Hillcrest or a house in WECAN.  The gate appears to be closing between 8 and 9 p.m. She also announced upcoming classes at Hillcrest. An 8 week workshop conducted by ‘Just Economics’ would begin on September 27. Residents of all neighborhoods are welcome to attend.
The City version of National Night Out  called “Night to Unite” will be on Saturday October 1st at MLK Park from 4-7 p.m. All Community Resource Officers will attend and have tables set up with information about services available, food and fun and games for the kids.
Marsha reported on the Depot Street Parking Plan an outcome of the ‘Between the Bridges” meetings was a need for more parking on Depot St. Two alternate plans have been suggested. Plan A has 28 parking spaces and Plan B has 41 with new sidewalk on the east side and a crosswalk about halfway down. She passed around a copy of the plans which were hard to read. Once the plans are fully fleshed out there will be a community meeting with enlarged drawings.
The D.O.T Contact Committee has not met yet
Marsha is on the Kudzu on Jefferson Dr  growing over a hydrant, street light, no parking sign and guard rail. Bret suggested posting points on GoogleMaps to show DOT or city crews exact locations of homeless camps and overgrown kudzu.   
Block Captain Sub-Committee. Yuri passed around a map and anticipates  about 5 block captains will be needed to cover 15 to 25 addresses each. Still some flexibility in arranging the ‘blocks.’ The goal is improving communications and community watch.  Pattiy will attach maps of the different blocks to the next WECAN News Flash. Yuri will bring markers and maps to the next meeting.
By-Laws Sub Committee- Joe and Anna Beth met to review the WECAN By-Laws and update them to reflect what we actually do. 1) Where ‘written notice’ of meetings was satisfactory in 1997, most neighbors now have email so ‘electronic’ notices should be as good as written. 2) Officers do serve for more than 2 one year terms so if they are willing they should be re-newable each year. 3) Proposed alterations must go out with notice of the meeting to consider their adoption.4) Yuri suggested that the geographic description of the WECAN boundaries be described verbally rather that by reference to the (expired) ‘2010 City Plan.” Also that the chair may designate al alternate to conduct meetings when the chair and vice chair are both unable to preside. AnnaBeth will email final draft to Pattiy by Sept 30 to be published in the WECAN News notice of the General Membership meeting on November 3.
Tara Irby from the Sustainable Communities Initiative explained what that groups goals are. Project Manager is Jeff Stoddinger and the city has received a Federal planning grant of $850,000 to collaborate with DOT, EPA, HUD to promote live-ability and efficiency and find out what the needs of residents and business owners are in areas of affordable housing, transportation choices, building on infrastructure, connectivity, leveraging resources, valuing communities. To build on communities rather than wipe out communities (unlike the results of urban renewal initiatives in the 1960’s and 1970’s) Citizen participation: hearing what is important and needed in communities from Southside, S French Broad, Livingston, Walton to WECAN and Hillcrest.  The ‘Between the Bridges’ meetings of stakeholders were the first steps. It is a federal requirement to make a good faith effort and take it seriously. They are not revisiting ‘Urban Renewal.” Talking about “messaging,”’ interviewing stakeholders and getting “buy in.” The TENTATIVE kick-off was proposed for Thursday October 6  from 4:30-9 p.m. at either the Reid center or Livingston Center.  Lively discussion about this conflicting with our regular Board meeting date ensued. The main point being that since WECAN is reputed to be among the most organized neighborhoods in the city it is insulting, irresponsible and disrespectful to set that date for the kick-off that is supposed to be about community participation. A secondary point was to add to the planning process the skills and talents of community members such as urban planners, designers, architects and artists who actually live in the community. For avoiding conflicts in future it was noted that Kendra Turner in the Office of the City Manager has a comprehensive calendar of all public community meetings.  Tara advised she would take our concerns to her group’s next planning meeting.
Pattiy asked if there were any concerns about the Silver Dollar closing and a new restaurant opening soon that will be open for breakfast lunch and dinner. Except for more expensive food it was generally considered a plus rather than a minus. She will invite the new owners to our next meeting and ask for a menu.
AnnaBeth gave a follow up report on  the Downtown Market that a collective was formed; They have downsized(only the Café and Grocery are still open.) and they had a good write up in the Citizen times. Ready for the next step after some good discussions with the bank. Once there is an agreement there will be a grand opening.  
Clingman Streetscape schedule was published in the meeting notice and is copied at the end of these minutes.:
Pattiy reported that Clingman Lofts requested money to plant a garden. She advised them that our treasury was almost bare. She will ask them to come to a future meeting and make a proposal of where and what they want to plant and what their plan is. They may be able to use our 501©3 status to write a grant.  
Pattiy began discussion of the use of our email lists which was posed on g-mail She volunteered to draft criteria for ethical use of email, face0book, web-pages, Blogs, etc.
Adopt a Highway date set for Tuesday September 19 at 5 p.m meet at the Sign Corner..
Yuri announced  that ‘Get There Asheville’ was having a City Council Candidates’ Transportation Forum at the Clingman Café on Thursday September 22 from 6-7 p.m.
Meeting adjourned at 8:22 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Joe Fioccola.



***************************************************************************************
From Mason Sexton, project manager for Moore & Sons : mason@mooreandson.net
Here is the tentative schedule for Clingman Avenue.  This is hard to schedule what gets done when because a lot of this is done simultaneously or immediately following removal.  There is also the unknown of the gas line and the proposed storm drainage.

Saw Cut Asphalt & Concrete                                                       09/19/11                              2 Days
Install Storm Drainage                                                                    09/21/11                              3 Days  
Remove Concrete & Asphalt                                                       09/26/11                              On Going Estimate 4 Weeks
Replace Concrete Curbing, Aprons & Walks                         09/26/11                              On Going Estimate 4 Weeks
Relocate Meters                                                                              09/26/11                              4 Days
Relocate Cleanouts                                                                         09/26/11                              2 Days  
Paving                                                                                                   11/07/11                              2 Days  
Striping                                                                                                 11/10/11                              2 Days  
Landscaping                                                                                       11/14/11                              3 Days

Estimate completion date of November 17, 2011 weather permitting with a September 19, 2011 start.  We were ready to start back on August 8, 2011, but based upon the WECAN meetings and complaints about starting we moved another project up so we wouldn’t have to start and stop on Clingman.  We may be back and ready to start on September 12, 2011 but I am not sure due to the rain events and additional work on the other project.
 Thanks,  
Mason Sexton Project Manager Moore & Son Site Contractors, Inc. 103 McDowell Road Mills River, NC 28759

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Silver Dollar to The Asheville Public

The Silver Dollar is closing after 70 years serving food in the neighborhood.  The Asheville Public is slated to come to life in its old location.  This bringing up many issues that may be on interest and concern to WECAN so please know this will be a topic of discussion at our next meeting, September 1, 2011 @ 6:30pm @ 64 Clingman Avenue in MHO's Jessie Nell Coleman Community Room.

WECAN Board Meeting Minutes for August 4, 2011


WECAN Board Meeting on Thursday August 4, 2011 at Merritt Park Meeting Room
Members present: Byron Ballard, Jeff Carnivale, Joe Fioccola, AnnaBeth Hardcastle, Mike Kenton, Yuri Koslen, Members not present were: Jessie Coleman, Bret Frk, Tom Gibson, Geraldine Melendez, Luke W. Perry, Jose Ruiz and Pattiy Torno.
Also present were:  Lance Hardcastle, Brad Smith, APD Officers Coward, Shelton, Loveless, and Stepp.
Yuri called the meeting to order at 6:36. After introductions the July meeting minutes were approved as distributed.
APD CRO update and questions:
            Homeless on DOT property: regarding the homeless camp between Park Ave and I240  while trash remains the camp is gone. Regarding a campsite behind the Phil mechanic Building it has been cleared and arrests were made.
Pedestrian Bridge:  Jackie reported that City sidewalks at the Hillcrest Walkover are overgrown. DOT will get  that done by November. Jackie relayed from Marsha that there are new LED lights on the Roberts St side and DOT will keep clear a ten foot strip on either side of the stairs leading to Roberts St. Also coming look for new markings for parking and possibly a new stop sign at Roberts and W Haywood by White Duck Taco.
Jackie announced that The City version of National Night Out will be on Saturday October 1st at MLK Park from 4-7 pm (Rain Date Oct 8.) Hoping for improved attendance which has lately been poor at the “Official” date (First Tuesday in August.) Brad reported that “No Trespassing Signs which are posted on the Tennis Court side of the Ravine on the East of Clingman Ave. are not deterring people entering the area from the Merritt St. side.  Jackie assured us that posting every entrance is not necessary to enforce trespassing violations.
Jeff reported increased traffic on Jefferson Dr and that the dead end is overgrown with Kudzu it is hard to see suspicious activity or people sleeping in the road at the turnaround. Anna reported signs of activity such as condoms and litter and also reported that the fire hydrant at the dead end is completely hidden. The responsibility for maintaining the overgrowth may lie between the city and DOT.  
            The D.O.T Contact Committee has not met yet Anna Beth requested maps and more info of what are the issues and what areas are involved. Yuri suggested a brief brainstorming session to generate issues to start the conversation (such as maintenance of plantings/ground cover weeds; homeless camps, etc.) Mike advised that DOT can’t approve a community garden or any use involving people on their property due to liability issues. 
Garden Club July date was canceled next date set for Sunday August 21 at Owens Bell Park from 8 am to noon.
Clingman Streetscape has been adopted by Asheville Greenworks with support from Sitework Studios, Mail Management & CURVE studios & garden so far, with more RAD business chipping in thru a possible fundraiser in September 2011.
Neighborhood Watch Block CaptainsBlock Captain Sub-Committee has not met. Yuri passed around a map and requested suggestions for areas and prospective block captains.  Byron noted that West Asheville, a much larger neighborhood, was quickly and efficiently organized on line through face book to respond to their crime wave. He will send a request with a digital map attached before the next meeting.
Clingman Avenue StreetscapeConstruction resumes this Monday August 8 on the upper half of Clingman Ave. starting on the lower end. The saw cut lines have already been set. Both lanes will not be closed at the same time. There should be communication between the construction Co and the residents. Brad requested an email schedule of the timeline. (Especially outages such as electric, gas, water and cable.) and residents want their shrubs undisturbed. A flyer of the timeline was suggested with a contact number for the project manager. Lance had heard some questions about the difficulty of cutting concrete and leaving sharp edges and the probability of having to re-pour.
Depot Street Parking Plan: working on a base map with marked parking along the railroad side and sidewalks and crosswalks to the five way.
Zoning Change for vacant lot north of Park Avenue on Club St.  It appears that it was inadvertently left off the latest zoning map. The proposal is to match it with adjacent zoning RM8.  The 0.27 acre parcel was sold by Urvana LLC to District Development LLC on 6/13/2011. It is unknown if there are any immediate plans to develop the site.
Downtown Market: First Bank was the sole bidder for the foreclosed property. They say they will honor existing leases for Amazing Savings and the two restaurants but may only offer 30 day leases.  Lance reported that there is 20,000 sq ft of unused air-conditioned  and heated safe walking distance space. He requested Ideas for potential uses. One idea mentioned was to provide a place for the itinerant food vendors like a food court. Other ideas are local retiree training in practical craft skills such as caning chairs, or making apple pies, or free school (Cabin Fever University) where the rent would be modest to zero. The central part of the building is where the majority of the space and energy are. He suggested a letter of support and ideas for usage showing community ties and support from WECAN, SFBN; DARN, ADA, Downtown Commission, AGCB and TWCA. to persuade the bank to sell. Also to use face book and blogs to promote support and ideas. An idea to get people into the space was an open house event like a cookout. Organizations to contact for small business incubator ideas include Mountain Bizworks, Advantage West, AB Tech, Handmade in America. Lance will send out a one paragraph write up about what is needed.
Flea Market Parking on Lyman St behind Paneling World cars may not park in the bicycle lane. Call in violations. They need to start getting the word out or vehicles will get ticketed and possibly towed. Byron will notify Jody with Short Street Cakes.
By-Laws- Joe and Anna Beth will meet to draft proposed changes to WECAN By-Laws.
Annual Meeting: November 3,2011 with potluck.
Meeting adjourned at 7:48 p.m.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Water Issues @ 96 SFB

Hello everyone! I am so happy to be able to tell everyone that the City of Asheville has completed the repairs at 96 South French Broad, to prevent the storm drain water from creating a long standing pool. My mother has greatly enjoyed being able to sit out at night and enjoy the “neighborhood” again. I have had the pleasure of mowing grass and helping her get the yard back in order. I am so very grateful for all of the support we received, especially from Chad Nesbitt, the South French Broad Neighborhood Association, Gene Bell, Lonnnie Gilliam, Marcia Stickford, Shahab, Stephanie Twitty, Jeff Staudinger, and all of the City of Asheville employees that worked on my moms’ yard and made it happen. She said they were wonderful to her and kept her updated on the progress every day.  I also want to thank  all of the others in the neighborhood that worked so patiently and diligently to help us work with the City to get this resolved, and showed unwavering support for our cause. We honestly would have never been able to get this done without you. If I have left anyone off of this e-mail, please feel free to tell them that both my mother and I thank them and to stop by and enjoy the great work. I will try to post some before and after pictures later this week.

Angela Smith

Sunday, July 17, 2011

ART @ WC REID Center

Thanks to the efforts of Cleaster Cotton, Art has arrived back @ WC Reid Center.  The past lack of arts programing was an item of concern from the surrounding neighbors @ several recent meetings around the future of the Reid Center.  Kudos to Ms. Cotton for making good things happen in our neighborhoods.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

July 2011 WECAN Board Meeting Minutes

WECAN Board Meeting on Thursday July 7, 2011 at Merritt Park Meeting Room
Present:  Luke Perry, Mike Kenton, Pattiy Torno,  Yuri Koslen, Jessie Coleman. Members not present were: Bret Frk, Tom Gibson, Geraldine Melendez and Jose Ruiz, Byron Ballard, Jeff Carnivale, Joe Fioccola, AnnaBeth Hardcastle
Also present were: Officer Mata (in training), Officer Evan Coward, Officer Jackie Stepp, Marsha Stickford
Meeting began at 6:35 at the bus stop and then moved into the office when the door was unlocked.  Pattiy called the meeting to order at 6:33 The June minutes were approved as distributed.
APD CRO updates:  Concerns were raised about a permit for outdoor gathering at 233 riverside drive. Marsha suggested that if this property becomes a problem, then they should contact the city.  Evan will send on the owner’s information.
National Night Out.  Marsha said that they are not doing a night out this summer.  Last year’s event brought out a lot of law enforcement, but not a lot of community members.  This year’s event will take place at MLK park the first week of October, which is Crime Prevention Month.  If our neighborhood wants to do a National Night Out, the city will help us do it.  Pattiy described the past events, and discussed the pros and cons of holding an event or not.
DOT issues/Homeless Camps.  Kudzu is out of control at the entrance to Greenworks maintained space along the Interstate.  Marsha is talking with DOT about how to control it and deal with it.  Marsha said that DOT is going through some administrative changes.  Yuri discussed trying to clean out the trail and maybe make a nice entrance or something.
Luke asked about what the approach or stance is about dealing with homeless camps, and if they automatically trigger police action, if they are not bothering anyone.  Marsha said that it is complaint driven.  Evan thinks that property values have been helped because they have been aggressively cracking down.  Pattiy said that past experiences have shown that people camping around her property have been found with things that have been stolen.
Yuri suggested that the city take a more comprehensive approach.  Jackie said that the city has improved their stance, and instead of just arresting people, they are sending out teams to discuss services with people.   Luke added that some folks will never find themselves in permanent housing. 
Some work is still going on around the Hillcrest pedestrian bridge.  While there are still lights out, DOT will not be adding additional lighting on the bridge.
Pattiy reported that the owners of the stockyard have worked out an agreement with MSD and has carved out a trail on west side of the river.  Pattiy noticed that there were already people camping on the trail and will follow up with stockyard owners about how to deal with homeless camps.
Luke asked about some traffic issues on Club St. related to cars speeding the wrong way and potential sex activity in cars.  Officer Coward asked to call about any suspicious vehicles.
Downtown Market.  Pattiy asked us to consider a letter asking the owners of 45 south French broad to consider other options besides foreclosing.  The motion passed and was approved.
Project Updates
Asheville Mural Project did a great job doing a mural at Hillcrest.
Clingman Streetscape.   Marsha reported that there is a plan to improve the intersection of Hilliard and Clingman.
There has been concern about the maintenance of the new Clingman Streetscape project, especially related to the weeds.  Site Work Studios and Asheville Greenworks are going to hire a private contractor to do the weeding and maintenance of the landscaping of the street.  Marsha is looking at working with the city and DOT on some better maintenance.
WC Reid Center Grant. July 12, 6 pm. Next meeting
WECAN Garden Club.  Date was cancelled for this month, and will be revisited next month. 
Annual Membership meeting.  First Thursday of November with potluck.  Luke is not bringing the banana pudding.
Owen’s Bell Park.  Pattiy reported that Mr. Bell would like to donate something to the Owen’s Bell park that would be of use to the neighborhood, and wanted to know what the neighbors would like.  Pattiy suggested for them to pursue things that the kids would use.
Announcements
Jessie Coleman was on the cover of Urban News.
Joshua Heetderk was featured in the Mountain Xpress
The RAD restaurants were featured in Mountain Xpress
Doors of Asheville event will be held Friday, September 9, 2011
Flea Market.  Pattiy asked if anyone had any opinions on its presence.  Friday July will be its first day and it will be every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Free camping has been advertised, which triggered some concern. 
Meeting adjourned at 7:28 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Luke W. Perry

Monday, June 20, 2011

Walton Street Pool Community Appreciation Days

Pack up the family, bring a friend and join Asheville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Department for Community Appreciation Day at Walton Street Pool, located at 2 Walton Street. On Saturday, July 9, and again on July 23, the first 100 Asheville City residents will be admitted to the Walton Pool for free, starting at 11am. Proof of residency will be required at the admissions desk.  For information, contact Candy Shaw at 828-552-1889or Walton Street Pool at 828-253-1143.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

WECAN Garden Club on June 15, 2011 POSTPONED to Saturday due to RAIN

Adopt a Highway clean up will happen @ 9am on Wednesday June 15, 2011... meet up on the corner of Hilliard & Clingman in front of the WECAN sign... takes about 1 hour or so... then come back @ 6pm in Owens Bell Park to help clear the weeds out of the WECAN Sunny Cultural Garden next to the bus stop on the corner of Clingman & Owens Bell Lane... that should also take about an hour or so... maybe we go eat tacos after that? Okay so it is raining so we will postpone garden club until Saturday June 18, 2011 in the morning... 8:30am ish? see you there if you want!! Joe & Pattiy will be there...

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Asheville Mural Project @ Hillcrest




On Saturday, June 11, 2011, the AMP will help facilitate a Public Mural Painting Day @ the Hillcrest Development.  AMP asks you to come bear witness to a  community taking control of it's own healing. The design for the mural is undergoing it's final revision by the community.  The message of the image is history, unity, and positive outlooks for the future of Hillcrest. AMP hopes this is just the beginning of many events like this to come & will continue to be a vital part in facilitating, and developing more community based mural efforts in the Asheville Housing Authority developments. 

Saturday, May 28, 2011

NeXT WECAN monthly Board Meeting is Thursday June 2, 2011

@ 6:30pm @ 64 Clingman Avenue, MHO's first floor Conference Room!! BE THERE! Still working on the Clingman Streetscape Project, Community Communication Plan, Garden Club & more... do join us!

June 2011 RAD STUDIO STROLL

It is that time of year again... Saturday & Sunday June 11 & 12, 2011... 10am to 6pm... the River Arts District will be jamming... with a friday night party @ Pink Dog Creative to celebrate their official Grand Opening... new food includes The Junction & White Duck Taco Shop... new studios include 5 @ the Hatchery Studios @ 1 Roberts Street, 3 @ Northlight Studios (Wendy Whitson bought 357 Depot Street) & the 15 studios in Pink Dog.  Join in the fun or avoid the traffic... which ever suits you.

WC REID Center gets $4 million HUD grant

From ashevilleRAD.com: The W.C. Reid Center & The Asheville Housing Authority have been awarded a $4 million HUD Grant. These funds will be used to create a community education & green jobs training center. Special thanks go to David Nash of AHA, all the folks @ Green Opportunities & all the partners, for their hard work & vision in securing this grant.

Friday, May 27, 2011

May 2011 WECAN Board Meeting Minutes (Draft)

WECAN Board Meeting on Thursday May 5, 2011 at Merritt Park Meeting Room
Members present: Byron Ballard, Jeff Carnivale, Jessie Coleman, Joe Fioccola, .
Members not present were: Bret Frk, Tom Gibson, AnnaBeth Hardcastle, Mike Kenton, Yuri Koslen, Geraldine Melendez, Luke W. Perry, Jose Ruiz and Pattiy Torno.
Also present were:  Marsha Stickford and Officers Coward and Ward. 
Joe called the meeting to order at 6:42The April minutes were approved as distributed with one correction: The date of the Curve Studios open house was April 22. 
Neighborhood Watch:  Marsha showed a map from the planning department identifying owner occupied and rental properties in WECAN.Joe will hold the map until the next meeting.
Crime Issues: Discussion of some homeless camps between the Silver Dollar and Clingman Lofts. Marsha explained the new protocol for handling these situations. First identify locations and report to Jackie Stepp or Marsha. Then AHOPE Day shelter will make outreach contact (with APD if it is unsafe.) They will explain what services are available. They will also explain the pathways to housing and give them a week to be cleared out. In a week the site will be cleared by community service workers or public works if it is on city park or right of way. She also noted that D.O.T. has also been cooperating with the protocol.  In the Silver Dollar case new issues arose concerning camping on private property. There are still life safety standards of running water, health and sanitation to be considered.  Marsha also reported that the Ice House owners were considering a marketing plan to develop the property. They will be facing a deadline to either secure the property or it may have to be taken down by the city with a lien placed against the property.       
Neighboring Neighborhoods: Some Hillcrest residents have been on the news protesting the placement of video cameras by the Housing Authority. Some complaints are that the cameras are looking into their bedroom windows. There has been increased police coverage. Joe read a letter from Angela Smith from 96 S. French Broad Avenue about the drainage problems there and also a letter from Jeff Staudinger, Community Development Director, that work should begin in the next two weeks. "As an FYI, Eagle Market Streets Development Corporation, while very helpful in the application stage, was not charged with the responsibility for completing the project. That responsibility rests with the City. McCray Coates will be in charge of the project.". 
    Events: Arbor Day: Saturday April 9, 2011 at Aston Park: Jeff reported that Donna Paxton and Val Kramer attended and a film crew was there to document planting native trees in fifty states.
    Stand Against Racism: Aston Gateway Community Board held their event on Saturday April 30 at Aston Park with an open house. They had 'tri-fold' boards set up for comments .They showed a video called "Free Indeed" about institutional racism and Pastor Roberto Guerrero was on hand to lead discussions. On Monday night at the YWCA the C.U.C. (Christians for a United Community had a good conversation led by Tyrone Greenlee on dismantling racism. Marsha wondered what kind of follow up there can be not focused so much on gentrification as on building relationships.
    Clingman Avenue Streetscape: Marsha, after consultation with legal has a new optimistic attitude towards the utilities. Cable should be moved in the next 30 days so the project can move forward.
    LED Streetlights: The city will begin Monday near the railroad tracks replacing streetlights and should be done by the end of the month. The Office of Sustainability has a Question and Answer section on the city website www.ashevillenc.gov. Marsha also noted that Progress Energy will check for coverage and also switch out streetlights on private property with the new energy efficient L.E.D. lights.  
    AARDC Between the Bridges : Marsha suggested that we invite Stephanie Monson to a future meeting talk to us about the plans and what her goals are for small area plans.
    Pedestrian Bridge: No clean up planned yet. D.O.T. has been repairing and replacing fences. Tentative plans to have a "Re-connection" celebration in mid-June. 
    General Membership Meeting: It is time to begin thinking about our semi annual meeting. A suggested date was set for Saturday June 4th in the afternoon or later. Food? Party? Owens Bell Park?
    Living Treasure Celebration: Our own 'living treasure' Jessie Coleman will be among the first group to be honored at 1 p.m. on Sunday May 22, 2011 at First Baptist Church 5 Oak Street. Her oral history has already been recorded and will be archived.
    Announcements: Jeff reported for the Aston Gateway Community Board that the additional fencing for the basketball court had been approved and bid and should begin installation this week. Tai-Chi classes led by Liz Ridley on Wednesday mornings at 10:30 were very popular. They are looking for a Yoga instructor to have classes on another day or evening and also a meditation group. The final equipment containers are in. The grant is about to be completed and will be celebrated with an Open House on Saturday May 21 from 2-6 p.m. and with a distribution of water bottles that say "We belong in Aston Park." Overall, he said it was a good process; He learned a lot about building relationships and community with the 6 or 7 core group members. They are being studied and documented as a model for other communities The Historic marker will not be changed before the open house. A draft revised text is under construction and will be posted for input before any permanent changes are made. Contact will also be made with local historians Henry Robinson, John Woods and Sarah Judson.
    Jessie related that she and her great granddaughter went to the park last week with a plastic candy-filled egg. They had a great time hiding the one little egg and watching people find it. It shows that it doesn't matter what things you have but what's in your imagination that makes life fun and beautiful.
    Byron reported contact with Susan Roderick about a Community Garden and she suggested talking to the people at ASAP (Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project) about a garden near the Fairway Sign next to the Boy Scouts Building. ASAP's office is just down the block in the Felmet Building.
    Officers Coward and Ward reported that the homeless camp next to the Silver Dollar was gone. That bike patrols of Aston Park would continue and would adjust if needed more in mornings or afternoons.
    Marsha Reported that the sidewalk at Dave Steel was given back to the city. Legal researched the agreement from the 1930's and found the city gave the sidewalk in return for a retaining wall.  
Meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Joe Fioccola.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

April 2011 WECAN Board Meeting MInutes

WECAN Board Meeting on Thursday March 4, 2011 at Merritt Park Meeting Room
Members present: Byron Ballard, Jeff Carnivale, Jessie Coleman, Joe Fioccola, AnnaBeth Hardcastle, Luke W. Perry and Pattiy Torno. Members not present were: Bret Frk, Tom Gibson, Yuri Koslen, Geraldine Melendez and Jose Ruiz. Also present were: John Bryant, Mike Kenton, Marsha Stickford and Officer Sean Davis. 
    Pattiy called the meeting to order at 6:33 The February minutes were approved as distributed.
Networking with other neighborhoods: Luke has been meeting with Hillcrest and invited Teresa to attend one of our meetings. Looking at a future community building project like cleaning up at the pedestrian bridge at some future date. 
Bike Park:  Mike reported a meeting he attended with Sean from SORBA and Jeff Moore from D.O.T. The proposal was presented and the problems were 1) It is controlled access area, 2) liability issues, 3)Necessary equipment access to maintain the bridge. Mike thought that even though they could not approve a park under the bridge now, that they left the door open to other ideas and while they did say no they did not say never or not anything ever. This should be seen as major progress even at the glacial pace at which the bureaucracy usually moves. Luke passed around a picture of the "Troll" sculpture under a bridge in Seattle that was the result of a competition 
    Marsha reported a meeting with D.O.T she attended about the pedestrian bridge with Traffic Engineer Ken Putnam, Public Works Director David Foster, Jerry Yates and APD Officer Jackie Stepp. The city will gate off the access road under the Smokey Park Bridges and post it No Trespassing. D.O.T will clear the underbrush but not the trees. Not sure if D.O.T. will paint over the graffiti, but will beef up the fencing and repair holes along I-240 and around the controlled access area. The fence will be higher on the Hillcrest side and the Patton Avenue side. There will be a walk through in the next 2 months to see how well everything is working. Related news the kudzu covered field across from Park Avenue may be donated to the city as excess right of way. Also there is a contact at D.O.T . now who will clear out debris and homeless camps.
    AnnaBeth reported her frustration in trying to get a name of a contact at D.O.T., a liaison to meet with us and have a general conversation with WECAN about the many interfaces between D.O.T. and the neighborhood. Marsha may be able to help. 
Aston Park: Jeff reported that because of bad feelings about the Civil War Marker in Aston Park there was a meeting with Rebecca Lamb from UNCA who was responsible for part of the NC Civil War Trails markers in Buncombe County. They are actively collecting stories and research about the park to rewrite the story and and bring in more of the history of the African American community. She will offer a rewrite using material from Jessie and others and show it to everyone interested for input and approval so that it is more balanced and that no part of it is offensive to anyone in the community. The idea is that celebrating the changing of the text was more powerful that simply removing the offensive marker. On Saturday May 21
 the marker is set to be removed and replaced with a temporary marker outlining the process of replacement.
YWCA's Stand Against Racism is organized by Katherine Liss. The main event will be at the Glen Rock Depot on Friday April 29 and they encourage other groups to have their own events. On Saturday April 30 Aston Park will record stories and take pictures. WECAN may consider an event with Hillcrest. Luke added that UNCA has funding and equipment to do 'Story-Corps" style oral history recording.   Jeff also reported that The fence around the basketball court would finally be raised. That was approved to be out out for bid as well as additional storage and equipment for check out.  The 2 year grant was coming to a close but the Aston Gateway Community Board would continue to meet and they were noted for exceptional progress and were to be documented as a successful case study by the granting organization.
Owens-Bell Park: Pattiy will send a thank you letter to the Warren Wilson College group that came and did a great job in removing the invasive willow from the stream bed north of the bridge in less than an hour. Thanks also to Doug Yancey and volunteer Dan who applied environmentally safe pesticide at no charge. The next work day will be on March 12 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. The to-do list includes: clearing out the sunny cultural garden, distributing mulch on the path, removal of ivy from the large trees, and for the intrepid: removal of unwanted growth in the stream south of the bridge.
Pedestrian Bridge: Luke wants to organize a cleanup around the city steps and down towards the railroad tracks. Marsha emphasized that D.O.T has not given permission to do anything under the bridge. She suggested submitting a proposal sheet for volunteer projects on public property, She can facilitate and get required approvals. Luke's proposal includes a service project and some food and could then continue with the planned walk through.
APD officer Davis reported that leads were being followed up about the break in on Rector Street. 
Pattiy reported that she mailed the Hot Spot letter encouraging them to take more control and responsibility for their business.
100 Park Avenue: Pattiy reported that she heard from Bill Pellaya that due to current economic climate the proposed development was no longer a viable option but that he was also looking at other properties in the neighborhood. Pattiy wanted to review the process that unfolded: she was contacted as president of WECAN and asked about the neighborhood response to 70 units there. Knowing that there was a neighborhood desire for an affordable housing component and that it was conditionally approved for 41 units that the response would not be positive. She put out emails to some of the people she remembered who spoke at the conditional use permitting. and then reported back to Mr. Pellaya. It was suggested that there be a draft frame of reference to look at next time.
COA East of Riverway Grant: Chris Joyell and Appalachian State Students will conduct a door to door survey so identify if there is any information that WECAN needs surveyed in addition to socio-economic data,(such as renter vs. homeowner) but funding may be in question. Marsha advised that Jeff Staudinger will come to a future meeting to talk about it. The grant was about public participation in design and better communication and networking.
 AARDC Between the Bridges Small Area Plan: Meetings planned for property owners  to vision forward the next ten years.
Wednesday March 23 at the Magnetic Field on Depot St. from 12-4 p.m. Thursday March 24 at the Grey Eagle from 9-4 p.m.
Friday March 25 meeting to walk through what resources are available.  The goal is to build momentum for implementation of the Wilma Dykeman Riverway Plan looking at property values from 2000 to 2010 and to act as a model for other small area plans.
Clingman Avenue Streetscape: Pattiy talked to Greg Shuler they are only halfway done with moving utilities. AT&T, cable, internet cable and Progress Energy should be done in the next two months opening the way for the roadwork and repaving to continue in April.
BY LAWS: AnnaBeth noted typographical errors on the posted by-laws. They will be corrected. The issue of publishing the by laws was discussed. Previously they were distributed only to board members but diminishing participation made it more important to get information out to neighbors. In the spirit of opening the circle of information and participation we are now publishing the draft board meeting minutes. Making sure they are well marked as "Draft" since they are going out in an emailed Newsflash between meetings and therefore before they are approved. 
CPL Fence: Pattiy asked if there were objections to removal of the fence. Options discussed were to ask a fence company to swap the fence for a split rail fence like the one on Riverside Dr. near the Craven Street Bridge. No objections noted other than keeping vehicles off the muddy area.
Announcements: Jeff announced that the AGCB will continue to meet and pursue grants to acquire a swing set which was the the number one item wanted by the community.
Meeting adjourned at 7:57 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Joe Fioccola

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

NeXT WECAN monthly Board Meeting

This Thursday April 7, 2011 @ 6:30pm @ 64 Clingman Avenue, MHO's first floor Conference Room!! BE THERE!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Grow 4-1-11 @ MMS Direct w/ Asheville Greenworks

"Grow 4-1-11"... an event hosted by MMS Direct to benefit Asheville Greenworks... also an open house on Friday, April 1, 2011 from 1 to 5pm @ 88 Roberts Street in the Asheville RAD.  MMS Direct started as a mailing facility for bulk mail, marketing pieces, etc.  They have become a multi media platform for all of any businesses needs from mailing to printing to social media & web.  
The same day AGW is sponsoring a clean up in the River Arts District & MMS Direct is hosting the after party. All contributions made to Asheville Greenworks in the form of donations for Wedge & Craggie Beer that will be served @ the party that runs from 5:30 to 7pm will be matched by MMS.  Please volunteer for the clean up and RSVP for the after party at the links above.

here are the after party photos!!


Friday, March 18, 2011

WECAN Garden Club in OBP

March 12, 2011 started off pretty darn chilly but that did not stop Joe Fioccola, Pattiy Torno, Tom Robertson & Byron Ballard from coming out to re mulch the trails, dead head the Sunny Cultural Garden, plant day lilies & iris as well as remove the invasive english ivy off some the trees near Miss Louise's house.  We will talk about more garden space on the other side of the bus stop at our next WECAN board meeting, Thursday April 7, 2011.


Sunday, March 6, 2011

WECAN MARCH 2011 Board Meeting Minutes


WECAN Board Meeting on Thursday March 4, 2011 at Merritt Park Meeting Room
Members present: Byron Ballard, Jeff Carnivale, Jessie Coleman, Joe Fioccola, AnnaBeth Hardcastle, Luke W. Perry and Pattiy Torno. Members not present were: Bret Frk, Tom Gibson, Yuri Koslen, Geraldine Melendez and Jose Ruiz. Also present were: John Bryant, Mike Kenton, Marsha Stickford and Officer Sean Davis. 
    Pattiy called the meeting to order at 6:33 The February minutes were approved as distributed.
Networking with other neighborhoods: Luke has been meeting with Hillcrest and invited Teresa to attend one of our meetings. Looking at a future community building project like cleaning up at the pedestrian bridge at some future date. 
Bike Park:  Mike reported a meeting he attended with Sean from SORBA and Jeff Moore from D.O.T. The proposal was presented and the problems were 1) It is controlled access area, 2) liability issues, 3)Necessary equipment access to maintain the bridge. Mike thought that even though they could not approve a park under the bridge now, that they left the door open to other ideas and while they did say no they did not say never or not anything ever. This should be seen as major progress even at the glacial pace at which the bureaucracy usually moves. Luke passed around a picture of the "Troll" sculpture under a bridge in Seattle that was the result of a competition 
    Marsha reported a meeting with D.O.T she attended about the pedestrian bridge with Traffic Engineer Ken Putnam, Public Works Director David Foster, Jerry Yates and APD Officer Jackie Stepp. The city will gate off the access road under the Smokey Park Bridges and post it No Trespassing. D.O.T will clear the underbrush but not the trees. Not sure if D.O.T. will paint over the graffiti, but will beef up the fencing and repair holes along I-240 and around the controlled access area. The fence will be higher on the Hillcrest side and the Patton Avenue side. There will be a walk through in the next 2 months to see how well everything is working. Related news the kudzu covered field across from Park Avenue may be donated to the city as excess right of way. Also there is a contact at D.O.T . now who will clear out debris and homeless camps.
    AnnaBeth reported her frustration in trying to get a name of a contact at D.O.T., a liaison to meet with us and have a general conversation with WECAN about the many interfaces between D.O.T. and the neighborhood. Marsha may be able to help. 
Aston Park: Jeff reported that because of bad feelings about the Civil War Marker in Aston Park there was a meeting with Rebecca Lamb from UNCA who was responsible for part of the NC Civil War Trails markers in Buncombe County. They are actively collecting stories and research about the park to rewrite the story and and bring in more of the history of the African American community. She will offer a rewrite using material from Jessie and others and show it to everyone interested for input and approval so that it is more balanced and that no part of it is offensive to anyone in the community. The idea is that celebrating the changing of the text was more powerful that simply removing the offensive marker. On Saturday May 21
 the marker is set to be removed and replaced with a temporary marker outlining the process of replacement.
YWCA's Stand Against Racism is organized by Katherine Liss. The main event will be at the Glen Rock Depot on Friday April 29 and they encourage other groups to have their own events. On Saturday April 30 Aston Park will record stories and take pictures. WECAN may consider an event with Hillcrest. Luke added that UNCA has funding and equipment to do 'Story-Corps" style oral history recording.   Jeff also reported that The fence around the basketball court would finally be raised. That was approved to be out out for bid as well as additional storage and equipment for check out.  The 2 year grant was coming to a close but the Aston Gateway Community Board would continue to meet and they were noted for exceptional progress and were to be documented as a successful case study by the granting organization.
Owens-Bell Park: Pattiy will send a thank you letter to the Warren Wilson College group that came and did a great job in removing the invasive willow from the stream bed north of the bridge in less than an hour. Thanks also to Doug Yancey and volunteer Dan who applied environmentally safe pesticide at no charge. The next work day will be on March 12 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. The to-do list includes: clearing out the sunny cultural garden, distributing mulch on the path, removal of ivy from the large trees, and for the intrepid: removal of unwanted growth in the stream south of the bridge.
Pedestrian Bridge: Luke wants to organize a cleanup around the city steps and down towards the railroad tracks. Marsha emphasized that D.O.T has not given permission to do anything under the bridge. She suggested submitting a proposal sheet for volunteer projects on public property, She can facilitate and get required approvals. Luke's proposal includes a service project and some food and could then continue with the planned walk through.
APD officer Davis reported that leads were being followed up about the break in on Rector Street. 
Pattiy reported that she mailed the Hot Spot letter encouraging them to take more control and responsibility for their business.
100 Park Avenue: Pattiy reported that she heard from Bill Pellaya that due to current economic climate the proposed development was no longer a viable option but that he was also looking at other properties in the neighborhood. Pattiy wanted to review the process that unfolded: she was contacted as president of WECAN and asked about the neighborhood response to 70 units there. Knowing that there was a neighborhood desire for an affordable housing component and that it was conditionally approved for 41 units that the response would not be positive. She put out emails to some of the people she remembered who spoke at the conditional use permitting. and then reported back to Mr. Pellaya. It was suggested that there be a draft frame of reference to look at next time.
COA East of Riverway Grant: Chris Joyell and Appalachian State Students will conduct a door to door survey so identify if there is any information that WECAN needs surveyed in addition to socio-economic data,(such as renter vs. homeowner) but funding may be in question. Marsha advised that Jeff Staudinger will come to a future meeting to talk about it. The grant was about public participation in design and better communication and networking.
 AARDC Between the Bridges Small Area Plan: Meetings planned for property owners  to vision forward the next ten years.
Wednesday March 23 at the Magnetic Field on Depot St. from 12-4 p.m. Thursday March 24 at the Grey Eagle from 9-4 p.m.
Friday March 25 meeting to walk through what resources are available.  The goal is to build momentum for implementation of the Wilma Dykeman Riverway Plan looking at property values from 2000 to 2010 and to act as a model for other small area plans.
Clingman Avenue Streetscape: Pattiy talked to Greg Shuler they are only halfway done with moving utilities. AT&T, cable, internet cable and Progress Energy should be done in the next two months opening the way for the roadwork and repaving to continue in April.
BY LAWS: AnnaBeth noted typographical errors on the posted by-laws. They will be corrected. The issue of publishing the by laws was discussed. Previously they were distributed only to board members but diminishing participation made it more important to get information out to neighbors. In the spirit of opening the circle of information and participation we are now publishing the draft board meeting minutes. Making sure they are well marked as "Draft" since they are going out in an emailed Newsflash between meetings and therefore before they are approved. 
CPL Fence: Pattiy asked if there were objections to removal of the fence. Options discussed were to ask a fence company to swap the fence for a split rail fence like the one on Riverside Dr. near the Craven Street Bridge. No objections noted other than keeping vehicles off the muddy area.
Announcements: Jeff announced that the AGCB will continue to meet and pursue grants to acquire a swing set which was the the number one item wanted by the community.
Meeting adjourned at 7:57 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Joe Fioccola